Flooding inside your home can be catastrophic, requiring extensive and expensive repairs. A simple burst pipe can be very destructive indeed. But not all internal flooding is quite so devastating. Sometimes the source of the flooding can be quickly located and repaired, the water can get mopped up, and the room can be allowed to dry. You assume that the problem is solved, but internal flooding can sometimes cause lingering problems for you and your family.
Mold is extremely opportunistic, flourishing under the right conditions. And these conditions are quite simple since all it can take is a little moisture. Mold can, in fact, begin to develop in a home a mere 24 hours after flooding. You shouldn't be concerned about the development of mold with a minor leak where the room was immediately cleaned and thoroughly dried. However, mold can be a concern when the site has remained damp for at least 24 hours. You won't necessarily be able to see it either.
The danger with the development of mold after an internal flood is that it will grow in recesses that you weren't able to access previously. It can quickly develop inside wall cavities after water damage, growing unchecked since you cannot easily see its development. Professional mold inspections are wise when a home has had a flood that may have caused lingering moisture.
Mold isn't necessarily dangerous, but it certainly can be. Many household molds are allergenic (causing problems for people with allergies and/or respiratory conditions), pathogenic (dangerous to young children, the elderly, or anyone with a compromised immune system) or just plain toxigenic (toxic for everyone). The potential risks of these growths is why a mold inspection can be so valuable.
Inside Walls and Ceilings
A mold inspection is largely visual; however, when you're concerned that mold might be developing inside a wall or ceiling cavity, it might be necessary for the inspector to make a tiny hole in your drywall to probe the cavity. This is unfortunate, but often unavoidable.
The Type of Mold
If mold is detected, you will be advised on the best method for its removal, which might be possible to do yourself. This depends on the classification of the mold and the density of its spores. Professional removal might be necessary, which can be the case when the identified mold is toxigenic.
While your quick efforts might have spared your home from serious damage during a flood, you're not necessarily out of the woods just yet. Lingering moisture can easily trigger an invisible mold infestation, which must be identified and treated as soon as possible. Contact a mold inspections service to learn more.